Ex-gratia for Bhopal victims to be fixed soon
New Delhi: The Government today said the
payment of ex-gratia to victims of Bhopal gas tragedy will be completed by December.
The Union Cabinet had sanctioned payment of Rs 740 crore
as ex-gratia to the victims of the Bhopal Gas tragedy,
Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilisers Srikant Jena
told the Lok Sabha during Question Hour.
He said Rs 519.12 crore has already been disbursed among
the victims and the remaining payments would be made soon.
"The payment of ex-gratia as sanctioned by the Government
of India is targeted for completion by December, 2011," Jena said.
The Group of Ministers constituted on the Bhopal gas
tragedy had recommended payment of compensation/ex-gratia to
identified categories of victims.
The GoM had recommended Rs 10 lakh compensation/ex-gratia
to the next of kin of the 5,295 persons dead, while persons
having injury of utmost severity and with permanent disability
were to get Rs five lakh and those with temporary disability
Rs one lakh. Cancer patients and renal failure cases were to
get Rs two lakh each, Jena said.
He said that a DRDO facility had evinced keen interest in
taking the waste from the gas tragedy site for disposal at
their installation in Nagpur.
At this point, Congress member Datta Meghe (Wardha) voiced
opposition to burning the waste in Nagpur contending that it
would put the health of 25 lakh residents of the city at risk.
Jena said DRDO would be allowed to take away the Bhopal
gas accident waste provided it gets clearances from the
Maharashtra Pollution Control Board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Just Awesome! WATCH KL Rahul score incredible ton against West Indies in just 46 balls
- Walking can cut cardiovascular death by half
- When Robert Vadra had verbal spat with BJP MLA Ganesh Joshi over police horse Shaktiman's death - ALL DETAILS HERE
- 'Those provoking youth in Kashmir for Jihaad have kept their children in safe havens'
- SEBI mulling relaxed norms for REITs, InvITs, startups listing