Fake passport case: Salem gets 4-year RI
Bhopal: Underworld don Abu Salem was on Friday awarded four years of rigorous imprisonment in a 2001 fake passport case by a local court here.
The extradited gangster was found guilty under IPC section 471 (using as genuine a forged document) and section 12(1)(B) (suppression of information) of the Indian Passport Act by the court. He, was, however acquitted of the charge under IPC section 468 (forgery).
Chief Judicial Magistrate RG Singh awarded the sentence after hearing arguments of Salem`s advocate PC Bedi. Singh
also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on Salem.
Salem, extradited from Portugal in 2005 and lodged in a Mumbai jail for his role in 1993 Mumbai blast case, was present in the court on Friday.
Since Salem has been awarded two years RI on two counts each, effectively, the sentence is for four years.
However, since Salem has already spent three years and six days in the jail, he will spend the remaining period of 11 months and 24 days in the prison in connection with the passport case.
If Salem fails to pay the fine, he will have to undergo an additional imprisonment of two months each under these sections.
The case was filed against Salem, Monica and Siraj here in 2001 and they were accused of obtaining passports under fictitious names.
While the court has already acquitted Bollywood actress and Salem`s alleged companion Monica Bedi in the same case earlier, another accused, Siraj, had turned prosecution
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy