Fake passport case: Salem gets 4-year RI
Bhopal: Underworld don Abu Salem was on Friday awarded four years of rigorous imprisonment in a 2001 fake passport case by a local court here.
The extradited gangster was found guilty under IPC section 471 (using as genuine a forged document) and section 12(1)(B) (suppression of information) of the Indian Passport Act by the court. He, was, however acquitted of the charge under IPC section 468 (forgery).
Chief Judicial Magistrate RG Singh awarded the sentence after hearing arguments of Salem`s advocate PC Bedi. Singh
also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on Salem.
Salem, extradited from Portugal in 2005 and lodged in a Mumbai jail for his role in 1993 Mumbai blast case, was present in the court on Friday.
Since Salem has been awarded two years RI on two counts each, effectively, the sentence is for four years.
However, since Salem has already spent three years and six days in the jail, he will spend the remaining period of 11 months and 24 days in the prison in connection with the passport case.
If Salem fails to pay the fine, he will have to undergo an additional imprisonment of two months each under these sections.
The case was filed against Salem, Monica and Siraj here in 2001 and they were accused of obtaining passports under fictitious names.
While the court has already acquitted Bollywood actress and Salem`s alleged companion Monica Bedi in the same case earlier, another accused, Siraj, had turned prosecution
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani