Farmers cannot be at mercy of market forces: MP CM
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has stated that his government and his party have vowed to fight for getting justice for farmers, who cannot be left at the mercy of "market forces".
In a statement on a resolution demanding that Centre roll back prices of fertilisers, Chouhan said farmers had been left at the mercy of market forces, and it would not be tolerated.
The statement was tabled in the Assembly amid din last week, with the opposition Congress demanding a discussion on corruption.
Chouhan said the prices of fertilisers had been increased more than once in a single season, putting a heavy burden on the farmers.
The Centre should follow the policy which was in operation before April 2010, wherein supply of fertilisers was not affected by prices in the international market or the devaluation of the rupee.
But Congress avoided the discussion on the resolution seeking roll-back of prices, the Chief Minister pointed out, adding that the opposition party had earlier agreed to discussion in the meeting of business advisory committee.
"Congress cannot discuss the resolution as it was responsible for the hike in fertiliser prices," he said.
Chouhan also said that he had written to other Chief Ministers, even the non-BJP ones, over farmers` issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach