Farmers demand acquired land back in Morena
Morena: Police on Wednesday fired teargas
shells and caned farmers who were protesting land
acquisition for the construction of a joint check-post at
Piprai village, on the Agra-Mumbai national highway, about 15
km from here, official sources said.
The farmers have blocked the national highway as a
result of which a large number of vehicles have got stranded
on both sides of the road since morning.
Farmers are demanding that the acquired lands be
returned, because the compensation paid was paltry.
Sources said that police tried to pacify the farmers and
persuade them to lift the blockade, but when it failed,
teargas shells were fired and caning was resorted to.
The protesters pelted stones at the police and fired in
the air from the licensed guns which they were carrying,
The joint check-post is meant for forest, agriculture,
transport and sales-tax departments in this area which
Morena Collector M K Agrawal confirmed that police used
force to disperse the farmers but added that talks with the
protesters were on to resolve the situation.
He also said a proposal to revoke the acquisition would
be sent to the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- New song 'Da Da Dasse' from 'Udta Punjab' is thoroughly intoxicating – Watch here
- Video alert! Salman Khan’s reaction to ‘marriage wala sawal’ at ‘Sultan’ trailer launch is EPIC
- Ryan Gosling lends 'feminine energy' in bromance with Russell Crowe in 'The Graham Norton Show'
- Manchester United: Were the Red Devils wrong in sacking Louis van Gaal?
- Dombivali blast: What actually led to fire mishap in chemical factory and what all eyewitnesses saw