Farmers demand acquired land back in Morena
Morena: Police on Wednesday fired teargas
shells and caned farmers who were protesting land
acquisition for the construction of a joint check-post at
Piprai village, on the Agra-Mumbai national highway, about 15
km from here, official sources said.
The farmers have blocked the national highway as a
result of which a large number of vehicles have got stranded
on both sides of the road since morning.
Farmers are demanding that the acquired lands be
returned, because the compensation paid was paltry.
Sources said that police tried to pacify the farmers and
persuade them to lift the blockade, but when it failed,
teargas shells were fired and caning was resorted to.
The protesters pelted stones at the police and fired in
the air from the licensed guns which they were carrying,
The joint check-post is meant for forest, agriculture,
transport and sales-tax departments in this area which
Morena Collector M K Agrawal confirmed that police used
force to disperse the farmers but added that talks with the
protesters were on to resolve the situation.
He also said a proposal to revoke the acquisition would
be sent to the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!