Farmers demand acquired land back in Morena
Morena: Police on Wednesday fired teargas
shells and caned farmers who were protesting land
acquisition for the construction of a joint check-post at
Piprai village, on the Agra-Mumbai national highway, about 15
km from here, official sources said.
The farmers have blocked the national highway as a
result of which a large number of vehicles have got stranded
on both sides of the road since morning.
Farmers are demanding that the acquired lands be
returned, because the compensation paid was paltry.
Sources said that police tried to pacify the farmers and
persuade them to lift the blockade, but when it failed,
teargas shells were fired and caning was resorted to.
The protesters pelted stones at the police and fired in
the air from the licensed guns which they were carrying,
The joint check-post is meant for forest, agriculture,
transport and sales-tax departments in this area which
Morena Collector M K Agrawal confirmed that police used
force to disperse the farmers but added that talks with the
protesters were on to resolve the situation.
He also said a proposal to revoke the acquisition would
be sent to the government.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev