FDI in retail will lead to large-scale unemployment: BJP
Bhopal: Strongly opposing FDI in multi- brand retail, Madhya Pradesh BJP Thursday said the decision will only help companies like Walmart which were being "pushed out" of the US market, and render lakhs of Indians jobless.
Retail giants like Walmart were being "pushed out" of the American market but were being given shelter in India, State BJP President Prabhat Jha said.
Wherever these companies have entered, they have created problems like unemployment and caused decline in number of people taking up farming as profession, he said.
Jha was addressing a rally organised by BJP as part of its nationwide protest against the Congress-led UPA Government`s decision to allow foreign investment in the retail sector and also price rise.
He asked the Centre to publish a white paper detailing how the FDI decision will help farmers and claimed the move will render jobless the country`s one-third population currently engaged in self-employment.
The rally was also addressed by former Chief Minister and Bhopal MP Kailash Joshi and city Mayor Krishna Gour, among other BJP leaders.
Similar rallies were organised by the BJP in cities like Indore Jabalpur, Ujjain, Gwalior, Sagar, Satna, Rewa and Betul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof