FDI in retail will lead to large-scale unemployment: BJP
Bhopal: Strongly opposing FDI in multi- brand retail, Madhya Pradesh BJP Thursday said the decision will only help companies like Walmart which were being "pushed out" of the US market, and render lakhs of Indians jobless.
Retail giants like Walmart were being "pushed out" of the American market but were being given shelter in India, State BJP President Prabhat Jha said.
Wherever these companies have entered, they have created problems like unemployment and caused decline in number of people taking up farming as profession, he said.
Jha was addressing a rally organised by BJP as part of its nationwide protest against the Congress-led UPA Government`s decision to allow foreign investment in the retail sector and also price rise.
He asked the Centre to publish a white paper detailing how the FDI decision will help farmers and claimed the move will render jobless the country`s one-third population currently engaged in self-employment.
The rally was also addressed by former Chief Minister and Bhopal MP Kailash Joshi and city Mayor Krishna Gour, among other BJP leaders.
Similar rallies were organised by the BJP in cities like Indore Jabalpur, Ujjain, Gwalior, Sagar, Satna, Rewa and Betul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason