Five schoolchildren drown in Betwa river in Bhojpur
Bhopal: Five children of a picnic party drowned on Sunday in Betwa river near the famous Bhojpur Shiva temple, police said.
The deceased, who belonged to Mahrishi Vidya Mandir school, had gone to Bhojpur along with 23 others for a picnic at the world heritage site.
"While there, five of them went to take a bath in the Betwa and were drowned. Efforts are on to recover their bodies," Obaidullaganj Police Station in-charge MS Meena said.
Three of the deceased have been identified as Ujjwal Bhaire, Pratul Gupta and Mohit Neekhra, police said, adding that the remaining two are yet to be identified.
Raisen Collector JK Jain and SP Shashikant Shukla reached the spot to supervise the operation to fish out the bodies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Shilpa Shetty's son Viaan celebrates birthday with Bollywood star kids—See who all came!
- Trouble deepens for P Chidambaram's son; ED likely to question him soon
- Thailand dormitory fire kills 17 schoolgirls
- Will not spare my own children if they are involved in illegalities: Arvind Kejriwal in Goa
- No apology for Hiroshima bombing during Japan visit: Obama