Fleeing dacoit killed in police encounter in MP
Indore: A dacoit, carrying a reward on his head and who escaped from jail last year, has been killed in an encounter with Madhya Pradesh police here.
Manoj Bachchu Singh (23), an accused in six bank dacoities in Indore district, was killed in an encounter with police in the city`s Asaram Bapu Square late last night, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) D Shriniwas Rao said here today.
Acting on a tip-off, police reached a roadside hotel to arrest Manoj, but he and his associate fled from there on a motorcycle, Rao said.
However, police chased them and asked them to stop, but the dacoits opened fire following which police retaliated killing Manoj on the spot, he said adding that his associate managed to escape under cover of of darkness.
Two pistols and a motorcycle without registration number plate were seized by police, Rao said.
There was no casualty on police side. However, a police vehicle got damaged due to bullets fired by the dacoits, the SSP said.
Rao said Manoj, who hails from Bihar, had come here to study engineering but later got involved in crime and formed his own gang and committed six bank dacoities in Indore
district between 2008 and 2009.
Manoj was arrested in 2008 but he escaped from police custody on September 11 last year when he was being taken to a court from a local jail, the SSP said adding that police later announced a reward of Rs 10,000 on his head.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Shiv Sena backs Subramanian Swamy, takes a dig at BJP leadership
- Courtney Browne replaces Clive Lloyd as West Indies' chairman of selectors
- Jos Buttler backs England to stay aggressive against Sri Lanka in ongoing ODI series
- Shahid Kapoor-Alia Bhatt's 'Udta Punjab' rakes in moolah, nears Rs 50 crore mark at Box Office
- Shruti Haasan's latest Femina shoot will defy all norms of 'sitting awkwardly' – Pic inside