Fleeing dacoit killed in police encounter in MP
Indore: A dacoit, carrying a reward on his head and who escaped from jail last year, has been killed in an encounter with Madhya Pradesh police here.
Manoj Bachchu Singh (23), an accused in six bank dacoities in Indore district, was killed in an encounter with police in the city`s Asaram Bapu Square late last night, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) D Shriniwas Rao said here today.
Acting on a tip-off, police reached a roadside hotel to arrest Manoj, but he and his associate fled from there on a motorcycle, Rao said.
However, police chased them and asked them to stop, but the dacoits opened fire following which police retaliated killing Manoj on the spot, he said adding that his associate managed to escape under cover of of darkness.
Two pistols and a motorcycle without registration number plate were seized by police, Rao said.
There was no casualty on police side. However, a police vehicle got damaged due to bullets fired by the dacoits, the SSP said.
Rao said Manoj, who hails from Bihar, had come here to study engineering but later got involved in crime and formed his own gang and committed six bank dacoities in Indore
district between 2008 and 2009.
Manoj was arrested in 2008 but he escaped from police custody on September 11 last year when he was being taken to a court from a local jail, the SSP said adding that police later announced a reward of Rs 10,000 on his head.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan