Fleeing dacoit killed in police encounter in MP
Indore: A dacoit, carrying a reward on his head and who escaped from jail last year, has been killed in an encounter with Madhya Pradesh police here.
Manoj Bachchu Singh (23), an accused in six bank dacoities in Indore district, was killed in an encounter with police in the city`s Asaram Bapu Square late last night, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) D Shriniwas Rao said here today.
Acting on a tip-off, police reached a roadside hotel to arrest Manoj, but he and his associate fled from there on a motorcycle, Rao said.
However, police chased them and asked them to stop, but the dacoits opened fire following which police retaliated killing Manoj on the spot, he said adding that his associate managed to escape under cover of of darkness.
Two pistols and a motorcycle without registration number plate were seized by police, Rao said.
There was no casualty on police side. However, a police vehicle got damaged due to bullets fired by the dacoits, the SSP said.
Rao said Manoj, who hails from Bihar, had come here to study engineering but later got involved in crime and formed his own gang and committed six bank dacoities in Indore
district between 2008 and 2009.
Manoj was arrested in 2008 but he escaped from police custody on September 11 last year when he was being taken to a court from a local jail, the SSP said adding that police later announced a reward of Rs 10,000 on his head.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened