Fleeing dacoit killed in police encounter in MP
Indore: A dacoit, carrying a reward on his head and who escaped from jail last year, has been killed in an encounter with Madhya Pradesh police here.
Manoj Bachchu Singh (23), an accused in six bank dacoities in Indore district, was killed in an encounter with police in the city`s Asaram Bapu Square late last night, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) D Shriniwas Rao said here today.
Acting on a tip-off, police reached a roadside hotel to arrest Manoj, but he and his associate fled from there on a motorcycle, Rao said.
However, police chased them and asked them to stop, but the dacoits opened fire following which police retaliated killing Manoj on the spot, he said adding that his associate managed to escape under cover of of darkness.
Two pistols and a motorcycle without registration number plate were seized by police, Rao said.
There was no casualty on police side. However, a police vehicle got damaged due to bullets fired by the dacoits, the SSP said.
Rao said Manoj, who hails from Bihar, had come here to study engineering but later got involved in crime and formed his own gang and committed six bank dacoities in Indore
district between 2008 and 2009.
Manoj was arrested in 2008 but he escaped from police custody on September 11 last year when he was being taken to a court from a local jail, the SSP said adding that police later announced a reward of Rs 10,000 on his head.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed