Gas tragedy: Order reserved on petition for higher punishment
Bhopal: The district and sessions judge has reserved its judgement on a revision petition filed by the CBI and the state government seeking enhancement of punishment in the Bhopal gas tragedy case, awarded by a lower court on June 7, 2010.
The revision petition seeking enhancement of punishment was filed by the CBI and the state government in the court district and sessions judge Sushma Khosla, who, after hearing arguments of both the parties, reserved her judgement yesterday.
On June 7, 2010, the lower court awarded punishment to the then officials of the Union Carbide, including Keshub Mahindra, under section 304 A of the IPC, in which only two years` imprisonment is awarded.
The petitioners demanded that those responsible for the tragedy should be tried under section 304 (II) of the IPC, in which ten-year imprisonment and fine is awarded, as the punishment given to them by the lower court is too light in view of gravity of the offence.
However, defence counsel argued that the curative petition filed by the state government in the Supreme Court on the issue had already been dismissed while the revision petition was filed in the sessions court after the mandatory time limit of 90 days and therefore, the court should not concede to the CBI request.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know