Good response to bandh in Madhya Pradesh
Bhopal: The day-long bandh called by the NDA and Left parties against the FDI in retail, hike in diesel prices and rationing of LPG cylinders was successful in Madhya Pradesh except in Bhopal division which was spared due to an official function.
Reports of bandh evoking a good response were received from all the divisions except Bhopal which was spared from it in view of the visit of Bhutan`s Prime Minister Jigmi Yoezer Thinley, who arrived in the state capital today for taking part in the foundation laying ceremony of International Buddhist University at Sanchi.
Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa is also arriving for the same programme tomorrow.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan had requested the NDA leadership to spare Bhopal from bandh, which will be observed in the state capital on September 24.
The bandh was totally successful in Gwalior, Ujjain, Jabalpur and Indore divisions of the state where no major untoward incident was reported.
Educational institutions, markets and commercial establishments remained closed in all these divisions while most of the state transport buses also were off roads.
In Indore, BJP workers were seen asking shopkeepers to down shutters in many areas.
At a shop in Malwa area, the BJP activists were seen giving a day`s ration of food to a sweet vendor urging him to go home in support of bandh.
Passengers were seen stranded at some places while searching for autorickshaws and private buses.
The district Congress stood away from the scene to avoid any confrontation with the protesters, a spokesman said.
Samajwadi Party and Left workers tried to stop a narrow gauge train at Ramdas Ghati in Gwalior following which police removed them from the spot took nearly 125 persons into custody.
By and large the bandh was peaceful in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal