Govt scared of losing its ground: Anna Hazare
Ralegan Siddhi/Bhopal: Taking a dig at the Central Government over failing to deal with corruption, social activist Anna Hazare said the former is scared of losing its ground in the current democratic setup.
"The general elections are due in 2014 and I think the government is scared of being toppled in the light of several scams and turning a deaf year to the demands of Indian citizens," Hazare told media here.
Hazare has warned that he will start another anti-corruption movement to ensure the passage of a strong Lokpal Bill before the 2014 elections.
"I will tour the entire country and awaken youth about the elections and urge them not to vote for those who work against them. I will also sit in Ramlila ground and carry forward our movement against corruption," he added.
Meanwhile, Hazare`s close aide and former IPS officer Kiran Bedi said the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) shouldn`t be under the control of the government to ensure transparency.
"If the CBI was not under administrative control of the government then the rampant scams in the country wouldn`t have perpetrated. Each day a new scam comes to light," Bedi added.
Condemning the recent scam that came to light after the World Bank`s report on embezzlement of funds in building national highways in Uttar Pradesh, Bedi said: "t is very shameful. This has to stop."
A newspaper reported it with headlines detailing the report, which revealed serious incidents of graft in a review of road projects in Uttar Pradesh, causing loss of millions of rupees.
The World Bank`s Institutional Integrity Unit has sought a thorough probe into the matter.
The probe is likely to further highlight concerns about corruption in its development projects and increase pressure on outgoing President Robert Zoellick to tackle shortcomings in the bank`s oversight of projects. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early