Gupta empire era sites restored in Madhya Pradesh
New Delhi: Many monuments of the Gupta dynasty era in the ancient archaeological site of Eran in Madhya Pradesh have been restored by the government, the ministry of culture said Tuesday.
The ancient site at Eran village in Sagar district is covered as a protected monument of national importance by Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
Eran was an administrative division of the Gupta empire (320-550 AD). In early coins and inscriptions, it appears as `Airikina`. The residents of the city were said to have donated generously to the Buddhist stupa of Sanchi. The oldest monument in the area dates back to 510 AD.
The first excavations at Eran were carried out in 1960-1961 to 1964-1965 and in 1987-1988.
The culture ministry said that conservation work at the site was carried out regularly and this year spent Rs.3.87 lakh on the restoration. The monuments are in good state of preservation, it added.
Antiquities of neolithic or New Stone Age, beginning 9,500 BC, and chalcolithic cultures have also been found in Eran. Chalcolithic or Copper Age extended from the middle of the fifth to near the end of the fourth millennium B.C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you