Hailstorms caused Rs 13,000 cr loss to farmers in MP: Chouhan
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan Tuesday said unseasonal rains and hailstorm caused extensive damage to crops in Madhya Pradesh with the farmers suffering a loss of about Rs 13,000 crore as per the reports receiving from various districts.
"The farmers have suffered an extensive damage to their crops due to unseasonal rains and hailstorm which is going on even now resulting in a crop loss of about Rs 13,000 crore," Chouhan told reporters.
"Because of the natural calamity, the state`s total production of Rabi crop is going to decline by 10 per cent," Agriculture Principal Secretary Rajesh Rajora said.
The Chief Minister said due to hailstorm, rabi crop got damaged in 26 lakh hectare area and the state has decided to raise the amount of relief from Rs 2,000 crore to Rs 2,600 crore.
Chouhan said that a total of 30,000 villages are affected because of rains and hailstorm causing damage to 20 lakh tonnes (LT) of wheat crop, 10 LT of gram, three LT of masoor (lentil) and 1.5 LT of other crops suffered damages.
Rajora said three-fourth of lentil (masoor) and one-third of gram crop is affected in the entire state.
The above damage was estimated on the basis of available data till March 5, and the survey of the damaged crop after that is underway.
Chouhan said that a memorandum is being prepared for submitting to the Centre demanding relief for the affected farmers and it will be sent by tonight.
The government has also requested the Centre to send a Central team soon to assess the damage.
The state government has already announced a slew of measures for the farmers, including the ones whose more than 50 per cent crops is damaged will be provided wheat an rice at Rs one per kg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America