Harassed by cops, sisters attempt suicide; one dead
Bhopal: A 13-year-old girl in Madhya Pradesh died while her elder sister was battling for life Thursday after the duo attempted suicide following harassment by two constables, who had allegedly clicked obscene photographs of one of them.
The incident took place in Madhya Pradesh`s Chhatarpur district, about 350 km from here.
While the younger sibling died Wednesday, the elder one is being treated at a hospital in Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh, police said Thursday.
Two police constables, Kanhaiyalal and Arvind Patel, had allegedly caught the elder sister with her boyfriend May 21 in a deserted area. The cops snatched the mobile phone of the boyfriend and forced him to leave the place, an official said.
They then allegedly molested the girl and clicked some obscene photographs of hers from the mobile phone.
Next day, the girl filed a written complaint with Chhatarpur Additional Superintendent of Police Sushil Tiwari stating that the constables had clicked obscene photographs of hers and were harassing her.
"On receipt of the complaint, I checked the cell phones of the constables but there was nothing objectionable," Tiwari told a news agency.
"However, the constables were suspended with immediate effect and a departmental enquiry was ordered against them," he added.
The sisters had told their neighbours that the constables had come to their house Wednesday and were harassing them, police said.
Superintendent of Police Prem Singh Bist said one of the constables accused of harassing the sisters suffered a heart attack on hearing that the girls attempted suicide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan