Harassed by cops, sisters attempt suicide; one dead
Bhopal: A 13-year-old girl in Madhya Pradesh died while her elder sister was battling for life Thursday after the duo attempted suicide following harassment by two constables, who had allegedly clicked obscene photographs of one of them.
The incident took place in Madhya Pradesh`s Chhatarpur district, about 350 km from here.
While the younger sibling died Wednesday, the elder one is being treated at a hospital in Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh, police said Thursday.
Two police constables, Kanhaiyalal and Arvind Patel, had allegedly caught the elder sister with her boyfriend May 21 in a deserted area. The cops snatched the mobile phone of the boyfriend and forced him to leave the place, an official said.
They then allegedly molested the girl and clicked some obscene photographs of hers from the mobile phone.
Next day, the girl filed a written complaint with Chhatarpur Additional Superintendent of Police Sushil Tiwari stating that the constables had clicked obscene photographs of hers and were harassing her.
"On receipt of the complaint, I checked the cell phones of the constables but there was nothing objectionable," Tiwari told a news agency.
"However, the constables were suspended with immediate effect and a departmental enquiry was ordered against them," he added.
The sisters had told their neighbours that the constables had come to their house Wednesday and were harassing them, police said.
Superintendent of Police Prem Singh Bist said one of the constables accused of harassing the sisters suffered a heart attack on hearing that the girls attempted suicide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video