HC asks CBI to probe mall scam involving Digvijay Singh
Indore: Indore bench of the Madhya Pradesh High Court on Thursday asked Central Bureau of Investigation to probe the Treasure Island scam case here, involving former Chief Minister Digvijay Singh, and report back within six months.
The order was passed by the division bench of Justices P K Jaisawal and Moolchand Garg, said advocate Dr Manohar Dalal, counsel for petitioner Mahesh Garg.
According to advocate Dalal, the HC asked the CBI to probe, among other things, the "roles of senior officials, the then Chief Minister, and Chief Secretary, and environment minister".
Social activist Garg had filed a complaint with the state Economic Offences Wing in 2009 in this regard. The EOW filed FIR against Entertainment World Developers Pvt Ltd, which constructed `Treasure Island` mall on the MG road here, in a joint venture with Madhya Pradesh Housing Board in 2002.
The allegation was that the mall was illegally built on a residential plot of one lakh square feet, with undue concessions from the state government.
EOW conducted probe against twelve accused, including Digvijay Singh, former Chief Secretary A V Singh, former MP Housing Board Chairman Chandra Prabha Shekhar, former Principal Secretary U K Samant and developers Prem Kalani, Manish Kalani, and Padma Kalani.
It later filed closure report, giving clean chit to Digvijay Singh, while saying there was a case against six others including the developers.
When contacted, Superintendent of Police, EOW, Manoj Singh and Additional Advocate General Manoj Diwevedi told a news agency they had not received the judgement copy, and could not comment on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state