HC bans sale of liquor in plastic bottles
Jabalpur: The Madhya Pradesh High Court has imposed a ban on sale of country-made liquor in plastic bottles following a PIL in this regard.
The order to ban sale of liquor in plastic bottles was issued yesterday by the division bench of Chief Justice S A Bobade and Justice R S Jha on a PIL filed by a Narsingpur- based NGO `Prani Mitra`.
During the hearing, the government requested the High Court to grant more time to it for filing a reply in the matter but the bench rejected it.
The PIL contended that on one hand the government was making efforts to minimise the use of plastic while on the other it permitted to sale of liquor in such bottles.
The chances of liquor turning poisonous are more in plastic bottles due to the presence of alcohol. Besides, it is not possible to recycle plastic bottles which results in piling of garbage causing damage to environment, the NGO said in its plea.
During the preliminary hearing, the bench had issued notices to the concerned authorities in this regard and yesterday expressed its displeasure on the government`s attitude.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30