HC grants anticipatory bail to Digvijay, MP in assault case
Indore: Indore Bench of Madhya Pradesh High Court on Wednesday granted anticipatory bail to senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh and party MP Prem Chand Guddu in connection with a case filed against them and others for allegedly thrashing BJP youth wing workers in Ujjain in 2011.
Justice P K Jaiswal, who yesterday heard arguments on separate applications filed by the two and reserved his judgement, granted pre-arrest bail today, their lawyer Akash Sharma told PTI.
On April 3, a Sessions Court in Ujjain had issued non- bailable warrants against Singh and Guddu after they failed to appear before it in connection with the case. Guddu is Congress Lok Sabha MP from Ujjain.
The case relates to an incident on July 17, 2011 when Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) activists were allegedly assaulted by Congress workers and leaders. The BJYM activists were beaten up when they were protesting against certain remarks made by Digvijay.
Besides Digvijay and the MP, others named as accused were Congress leaders Jai Singh, Anant Narayan Meena, Mukesh Bhati and Amar Lal.
Except Digvijay and Guddu, others were granted bail by the Ujjain Sessions Court when they appeared before it early this month.
The Ujjain Court has fixed April 30 as the next date of hearing in the case.
In November last year, the Sessions Court had asked police to register cases against the Congressmen, including Digvijay and Guddu, under IPC Sections 307 (attempt to murder), 326 and 324 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means), among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you