Heavy rains affect rail, road traffic in Betul region of MP
Betul: A portion of the support base of the railway tracks between Magardoh and Barbatpur stations on the New Delhi-Chennai route has been washed away due to the heavy rains, affecting the rail traffic.
The traffic on the National Highway-69 (Nagpur-Bhopal) and National Highway 59 (Indore-Ahmedabad) too has stopped because of flooding for the last 12 hours.
Heavy rains are lashing the region for the last five days.
"Nearly 30-meter long support base has been washed away on the UP-line affecting rail traffic in the section," Central Railway spokesperson PD Patil said.
Trains were moving along the DOWN-line, he added.
The damage to the tracks was extensive, Patil said, adding that authorities could not say how long the restoration would take.
Divisional Railway Manager Brajesh Dixit and a technical team had left for the spot by a special train, he said.
Parts of NH 59 passing through Betul were under the floodwaters of Machna river, while parts of NH 69 was flooded by waters of Sukhi river. Vehicles had backed up on both sides, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?