Hide Lotuses in poll-bound Madhya Pradesh: Congress to EC
Zee Media Bureau
Bhopal: Notwithstanding the fact that it is trailing the ruling BJP in Madhya Pradesh in pre-poll surveys, the Congress is finding blooming lotuses a roadblock in its quest for power.
The opposition party has written to the Election Commission complaining about blooming lotuses in water bodies of Mahakaushal, Malwa and Bundelkhand regions, a newspaper report claimed on Tuesday.
As per the report, the Congress has asked the EC to "hide" the national flower from public. It believes the lotuses are an unfair advantage to the BJP as the flower is the ruling party’s election symbol.
Making its case, the Congress said the EC had similarly ordered the draping of statues of Mayawati`s stone elephants in Uttar Pradesh ahead of Assembly Elections last year.
The BJP is, obviously, not pleased. Its spokesperson Vishwas Sarang described the move by the Congress as "mental bankruptcy and despondency".
Hitting back, Sarang said if the lotuses are to be hidden, then people should also be made to cover their hands as the same are the election symbol of the Congress.
The Congress request has left the state Election Commission officials perplexed too, which has decided to escalate the same to New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company