Hiked power tariff in MP affecting farmers hard: Cong
Bhopal: Opposition Congress today accused Madhya Pradesh government of hiking power tariff despite rural areas in the state not getting round-the-clock electricity supply as promised under its ambitious `Atal Jyoti` scheme.
"Although there is no power in rural areas, bills with increased electricity tariff are being sent regularly," state unit Congress Vice-President Manak Agarwal said in a statement.
He alleged that Shivraj Singh Chouhan government had failed to ensure uninterrupted electricity supply it had promised under the ambitious scheme.
"Those farmers who are unable to pay inflated bills are being arrested and thrown behind bars. Some of the farmers have even committed suicide due to increased tariff," Agarwal alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi