Hiked power tariff in MP affecting farmers hard: Cong
Bhopal: Opposition Congress today accused Madhya Pradesh government of hiking power tariff despite rural areas in the state not getting round-the-clock electricity supply as promised under its ambitious `Atal Jyoti` scheme.
"Although there is no power in rural areas, bills with increased electricity tariff are being sent regularly," state unit Congress Vice-President Manak Agarwal said in a statement.
He alleged that Shivraj Singh Chouhan government had failed to ensure uninterrupted electricity supply it had promised under the ambitious scheme.
"Those farmers who are unable to pay inflated bills are being arrested and thrown behind bars. Some of the farmers have even committed suicide due to increased tariff," Agarwal alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore