Hiked power tariff in MP affecting farmers hard: Cong
Bhopal: Opposition Congress today accused Madhya Pradesh government of hiking power tariff despite rural areas in the state not getting round-the-clock electricity supply as promised under its ambitious `Atal Jyoti` scheme.
"Although there is no power in rural areas, bills with increased electricity tariff are being sent regularly," state unit Congress Vice-President Manak Agarwal said in a statement.
He alleged that Shivraj Singh Chouhan government had failed to ensure uninterrupted electricity supply it had promised under the ambitious scheme.
"Those farmers who are unable to pay inflated bills are being arrested and thrown behind bars. Some of the farmers have even committed suicide due to increased tariff," Agarwal alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown