Hindu outfit seeks to revive Bhojshala controversy

Last Updated: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 18:03

Bhopal: Notwithstanding the ban imposed
by Dhar district administration, a right wing organisation is
seeking to revive the controversial issue of `Bhojshala` by
taking out a Palki Yatra up to the ASI protected monument on
the occasion of the Basant Panchmi festival tomorrow.

`Bhojshala` is an Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)
protected monument where Hindus performs puja every Tuesday
and Muslims offer Namaz every Friday. During the Basant
Panchami festival, Hindus are allowed to perform puja at the
monument from sunrise to sunset.

The above arrangement was made by the ASI following
regular disputes between the two communities over the issue of
ownership of the monument.

Hindu`s feel that an idol of Waghdevi (Goddess Saraswati)
existed at the Bhojshala and was removed by Muslim invaders,
to be later taken away by the Britishers. Muslims treat the
monument as Kamal Moula Mosque.

The idol of Waghdevi is at presently housed at a museum
at London. Hindutva organisations had asked Janata Party
president to take up the case of bringing
back the idol from UK.

The Palki Yatra was proposed to be taken out by the Maa
Waghdevi Saraswati Janmotsav Samiti`s organiser Navalkishore
Sharma, a former RSS worker.

He had observed a fast-unto-death over the issue of
handing over a replica of Waghdevi in the custody of police
for carrying it in the daylong procession on the occasion of
Basant Panchmi festival.

However, yesterday the administration forcibly ended his
fast and referred him to Indore for treatment.

The district administration had seized the replica of the
Waghdevi idol at Gwalior, while it was being brought for the
Basant Panchmi festival last year on the grounds that it may
disrupt peace in the town.

Dhar Collector BM Sharma said that only the Bhoj Utsav
Samiti, another separate outfit, is authorised to celebrate
the Basant Panchmi festival in the town.

He said considering the sensitive nature of the proposed
yatra by Navalkishore, the district administration has banned
it.

"The administration has banned the proposed Palki Yatra
in the town, imposed section 144 (unlawful assembly of people)
and deployed large number of security personnel in the
sensitive town as a precautionary measure," he said.

Already, 20 persons have been arrested by police for
disrupting peace in the town, he added.

"The administration has banned the proposed Palki Yatra
in the town, imposed section 144 and deployed large number of
security personnel in the sensitive town as a precautionary
measure," he told PTI.

Already, 20 persons have been arrested by police for
disrupting peace in the town, he added.

Meanwhile, Madhya Pradesh Congress has submitted a
memorandum to Governor Ram Naresh Yadav urging him to direct
the government to ensure that nobody is allowed to play with
the historical background of the monument and present
arrangement at the site.

The memorandum was submitted by state Congress leaders
Manak Agarwal Ibrahim Qureshi, who demanded deployment of
adequate force at the site.

"We have urged the Governor to intervene in this
sensitive matter and ensure that peace is not disrupted in
Madhya Pradesh," Agarwal said.

PTI



First Published: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 13:42

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus