I-T dept attaches properties; freezes accounts of IAS couple
Bhopal: The Income Tax Department has attached properties and frozen 77 bank accounts of suspended Madhya Pradesh IAS couple Arvind and Tinu Joshi.
The action against the duo was taken under Section 281-B of the Income Tax Act, 1961, meant to ensure that the tainted officers cannot dispose off their properties or operate bank
accounts till completion of probe by various investigating agencies, I-T department sources said.
A raid at the couple`s residence in February last year had yielded Rs three crore in cash following which they were suspended. Documents relating to investments have showed their
worth at a whopping Rs 360 crore.
The Madhya Pradesh Lokayukta is probing the couple under the Prevention of Corruption Act while the Enforcement Directorate is investigating a case under the Prevention of
Money Laundering Act (PMLA)- 2002.
Both Arvind and Tinu, who are 1979-batch IAS Officers of the Madhya Pradesh cadre, have held important positions in the Centre since the late 80s.
Tinu served as Deputy Secretary in the PMO from July 1, 1988 to January 1, 1990 while Arvind was Joint Secretary in the Defence Ministry during the 1999 Kargil hostilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves