IIM prof murder case: Driver gets life term
Indore: A local court Wednesday awarded life imprisonment to Anil Patel, the driver of slain IIM professor Amrita Pancholi, for murdering her in 2009.
"The additional district judge Ashish Dixit also handed down two-year jail term to Patel`s accomplice Bhavesh Soni on the charges of keeping the custody of valuables stolen from Pancholi`s flat after murder and destroying evidence", public prosecutor Shekhar Bundela told reporters.
The court found Patel guilty under sections 302 (murder), 394 (voluntarily causing hurt in committing robbery) and 397 (robbery, or dacoity, with attempt to cause death or grievous hurt) of Indian Penal Code, he said.
It was prosecution`s case that Pancholi (32), staying alone in a flat provided to her by the institute on the campus, was stabbed to death by Patel on December 17, 2009, after she refused to reveal her ATM card`s PIN number to him.
Pancholi, who was the professor of Human Resources at the IIM, hailed from Udaipur in Rajasthan.
According to prosecution, Patel came to know that there was a lot of money in Pacholi`s account and he decided to steal it along with Soni.
On December 17, Patel, who was hiding in Pancholi`s flat with an intention to steal money, took away her purse containing the ATM card and asked her to reveal the PIN.
However, as Pancholi refused, he stabbed her repeatedly resulting in her death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city