Indian-American nominated as US county prosecutor
New York: An Indian-American Sikh lawyer has been nominated as a county prosecutor in New Jersey.
Gurbir Grewal was formally nominated by Governor Chris Christie to be the next Bergen county prosecutor, a local media report said.
Grewal, a Glen Rock resident, has worked since 2010 as the deputy chief of the Economic Crimes and Computer Hacking and IP Crimes Unit at the US Attorney`s Office in Newark. He previously worked as assistant US Attorney at the Business and Securities Fraud Unit in the Eastern District here.
The nomination now goes to the state Senate for consideration.
Christie had announced his plans to nominate Grewal in September. Grewal would replace John Molinelli.
"With his experience as a federal prosecutor in New Jersey and New York, Mr. Grewal has the right credentials and background to be the chief law enforcement officer for Bergen County," said the governor.
"He also brings diversity to a highly diverse county, which will serve him and the community well," he said.
Grewal earned his undergraduate degree from Georgetown University and holds a Juris doctorate from the Marshall-Wythe School of Law from the College of William & Mary. He is a past president of the South Asian Bar Association of New York, and a member of the New Jersey Asian Pacific American Lawyers Association.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!