IPS officer killed by mining mafia in MP
Bhopal: In a shocking incident, an IPS officer was allegedly killed on Thursday afternoon by the stone mining mafia at Banmore town near Morena district in Madhya Pradesh.
IPS Narendra Kumar was mowed down by a tractor laden with illegally-quarried stones when he tried to stop the vehicle.
"But instead of stopping, the driver ran over him. Kumar was rushed to hospital but died on the way," DIG (Chambal), DP Gupta said.
The driver of the tractor, Manoj Gujjar, has been arrested in connection with the alleged murder.
State Home Minister Umashankar Gupta confirmed the incident, saying action will be taken against the guilty. The minister added the state government has been trying to check illegal mining.
Kumar was a 2009 batch IPS officer and was on probation. He was posted at Banmore about 45 days back.
According to DIG Gupta, Kumar was a brave officer and had been trying to stop illegal mining in the area.
His wife Madhurani Tewatia, an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, is also posted in Madhya Pradesh but is presently on maternity leave in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters