IPS officer killed by mining mafia in MP
Bhopal: In a shocking incident, an IPS officer was allegedly killed on Thursday afternoon by the stone mining mafia at Banmore town near Morena district in Madhya Pradesh.
IPS Narendra Kumar was mowed down by a tractor laden with illegally-quarried stones when he tried to stop the vehicle.
"But instead of stopping, the driver ran over him. Kumar was rushed to hospital but died on the way," DIG (Chambal), DP Gupta said.
The driver of the tractor, Manoj Gujjar, has been arrested in connection with the alleged murder.
State Home Minister Umashankar Gupta confirmed the incident, saying action will be taken against the guilty. The minister added the state government has been trying to check illegal mining.
Kumar was a 2009 batch IPS officer and was on probation. He was posted at Banmore about 45 days back.
According to DIG Gupta, Kumar was a brave officer and had been trying to stop illegal mining in the area.
His wife Madhurani Tewatia, an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, is also posted in Madhya Pradesh but is presently on maternity leave in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Want to send your own experiments into space? This tiny satellite will help you!- Watch
- Euro 2016: Poland beat Switzerland in a nail-biting penalty shoot out
- Boxing as good as dead in India, rues Mary Kom
- David Cameron calls on LGBT community to live 'freely'
- Wimbledon: Andy Murray and admirer of `incredibly consistent` Novak Djokovic