IPS officer killed by mining mafia in MP
Bhopal: In a shocking incident, an IPS officer was allegedly killed on Thursday afternoon by the stone mining mafia at Banmore town near Morena district in Madhya Pradesh.
IPS Narendra Kumar was mowed down by a tractor laden with illegally-quarried stones when he tried to stop the vehicle.
"But instead of stopping, the driver ran over him. Kumar was rushed to hospital but died on the way," DIG (Chambal), DP Gupta said.
The driver of the tractor, Manoj Gujjar, has been arrested in connection with the alleged murder.
State Home Minister Umashankar Gupta confirmed the incident, saying action will be taken against the guilty. The minister added the state government has been trying to check illegal mining.
Kumar was a 2009 batch IPS officer and was on probation. He was posted at Banmore about 45 days back.
According to DIG Gupta, Kumar was a brave officer and had been trying to stop illegal mining in the area.
His wife Madhurani Tewatia, an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, is also posted in Madhya Pradesh but is presently on maternity leave in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!