Irregularity in MP pollution control board chief appointment?
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh government has come under attack over appointment of the State Pollution Control Board chief, who is facing a Lokayukat inquiry, for a second term in alleged violation of norms.
According to the documents accessed under the Right to Information Act, state government had in July this year floated a public advertisement seeking applications from eligible candidates for appointment as Chairman of Madhya Pradesh Pollution Control Board (MPPCB).
As many as 36 applications were received and 18 of them were found to be fit by a high level committee headed by Madhya Pradesh Chief Secretary.
However, Environment and Water Resource Minister Jayant Mallaya in an official note to Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan recommended a second term of three years to Dr Narmada Shukla.
The Minister also cited "good work" done by Shukla in his earlier stint as the board chief while requesting second tenure for him, the document said.
Following the recommendation, the CM approved second term to Shukla.
"The appointment is illegal and in violation of laid down procedures. The Government has floated a public advertisement for choosing the MPPCB chief. If they had to give second term to the last Chairman then why did they give the advertisement?," asked Ajay Dubey, who had filed the RTI plea to get the file notings and documents related to Shukla`s appointment.
He alleged the state government did not cancel the advertisement through a public notification which is a mandatory procedure.
Shukla, who was first appointed on November 11, 2009 for three years as MPPCB head, said his appointment has been done by the Government as per the set procedures.
Principal Secretary, Housing and Pollution, Iqbal Singh Bains through an official noting had also brought to the notice of the Chief Minister a pending inquiry by Lokayukta in connection with Shukla`s first appointment as MPPCB chief.
"We demand that Shukla`s appointment be cancelled and the state government look into the lapse," said Dubey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!