IT detects Rs 360 cr wealth from suspended MP officer-couple
Bhopal: The Income Tax department has
claimed to have detected wealth valued at a whopping Rs 360
crore from suspended Madhya Pradesh IAS officer couple Arvind
and Tinu Joshi and disproportionate to their known source of
Department sources said here today that the biggest
amount of ill-gotten money probably detected from any IAS
officer in the country was unearthed following several Income
Tax raids on the premises of the duo. The first raid on
February 4 last had yielded Rs three crore and a number of
documents about their alleged unaccounted investments, the
Jewellery worth Rs 67 lakh and foreign currency worth
Rs seven lakh and seven suitcases were also recovered during
the raids, the department claimed. The raids were carried out
following complaints that the officers had allegedly made huge
investments in an insurance company.
In a 7,000-page appraisal report submitted recently to
the Madhya Pradesh Chief Secretary, Avni Vaish and Lokayukta P
V Naolekar, the department has given details of investments
made by the Joshis.
Both Arvind and Tinu, who are 1979-batch IAS Officers
of the Madhya Pradesh Cadre, have held important positions in
the Centre since the late 80s.
Tinu served as Deputy Secretary in the PMO from July 1,
1988 to January 1, 1990 while Arvind was Joint Secretary in
the Defence Ministry during the 1999 Kargil hostilities.
As per the report, the two have made investments in a
number of areas ranging from agriculture to real estate and
The couple purchased agricultural or non-agricultural
land at a number of places including Kanha and Bandhavgarh
national parks, Raisen, Balaghat, Sehore and Bhopal, the
The report also alleged that the couple purchased 25
flats of which 18 are in Guwahati, six in Bhopal and one in
Papers about seven plots at Patel Nagar have also been
recovered from their possession, it said.
The report also claimed that Arvind Joshi had allegedly
indulged in speculative trading in shares, futures and options
to the tune of Rs 270 crore in the last three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced