Jal Satyagraha: Centre to send team to Madhya Pradesh
Bhopal: A team of observers will on Sunday visit the site of Omkareshwar dam protests for a survey, a report said.
The agitators, who have embarked on `Jal Satyagraha`, demand reduction in the height of dam at Indira Sagar Project on river Narmada.
The agitators want the height to be reduced from 262 metres to 260 metres.
On Saturday, the Madhya Pradesh government promised action on the increasing water level in the Omkareshwar dam, thanks to `Jal Satyagraha` by villagers.
The activists associated with Narmada Bacaho Andolan (NBA), which is agitating on the issue since the last decade, met Industries Minister Kailash Vijaywargiya and Tribal Welfare Minister Vijay Shah here on the issue yesterday and were assured of all help.
On Friday, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan deputed Varghese and Shah to talk to the agitators staging `Jal Satyagraha` by standing in neck-deep waters since the last fortnight in Khandwa and Harda districts demanding proper rehabilitation, among other things.
Chouhan’s directive came after reports of Indira Sagar and Omkareshwar dam-affected persons in Ghoghalgaon and Barkhalia in Khandwa district and Khardana in Harda district were staging the protest by standing in neck-deep water was noticed at the state and national level.
According to the activists, the water level in the dam has reached 193 meters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP