Jal Satyagraha: Centre to send team to Madhya Pradesh
Bhopal: A team of observers will on Sunday visit the site of Omkareshwar dam protests for a survey, a report said.
The agitators, who have embarked on `Jal Satyagraha`, demand reduction in the height of dam at Indira Sagar Project on river Narmada.
The agitators want the height to be reduced from 262 metres to 260 metres.
On Saturday, the Madhya Pradesh government promised action on the increasing water level in the Omkareshwar dam, thanks to `Jal Satyagraha` by villagers.
The activists associated with Narmada Bacaho Andolan (NBA), which is agitating on the issue since the last decade, met Industries Minister Kailash Vijaywargiya and Tribal Welfare Minister Vijay Shah here on the issue yesterday and were assured of all help.
On Friday, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan deputed Varghese and Shah to talk to the agitators staging `Jal Satyagraha` by standing in neck-deep waters since the last fortnight in Khandwa and Harda districts demanding proper rehabilitation, among other things.
Chouhan’s directive came after reports of Indira Sagar and Omkareshwar dam-affected persons in Ghoghalgaon and Barkhalia in Khandwa district and Khardana in Harda district were staging the protest by standing in neck-deep water was noticed at the state and national level.
According to the activists, the water level in the dam has reached 193 meters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai and Thane, BJP gains lead in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar