Jal Satyagraha: Centre to send team to Madhya Pradesh
Bhopal: A team of observers will on Sunday visit the site of Omkareshwar dam protests for a survey, a report said.
The agitators, who have embarked on `Jal Satyagraha`, demand reduction in the height of dam at Indira Sagar Project on river Narmada.
The agitators want the height to be reduced from 262 metres to 260 metres.
On Saturday, the Madhya Pradesh government promised action on the increasing water level in the Omkareshwar dam, thanks to `Jal Satyagraha` by villagers.
The activists associated with Narmada Bacaho Andolan (NBA), which is agitating on the issue since the last decade, met Industries Minister Kailash Vijaywargiya and Tribal Welfare Minister Vijay Shah here on the issue yesterday and were assured of all help.
On Friday, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan deputed Varghese and Shah to talk to the agitators staging `Jal Satyagraha` by standing in neck-deep waters since the last fortnight in Khandwa and Harda districts demanding proper rehabilitation, among other things.
Chouhan’s directive came after reports of Indira Sagar and Omkareshwar dam-affected persons in Ghoghalgaon and Barkhalia in Khandwa district and Khardana in Harda district were staging the protest by standing in neck-deep water was noticed at the state and national level.
According to the activists, the water level in the dam has reached 193 meters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’