Jal Satyagraha in MP: Karat seeks President’s intervention
New Delhi: CPI(M) leader Brinda Karat along with an NBA activist Thursday met President Pranab Mukherjee and sought his intervention to end the crisis in Madhya Pradesh`s Harda district, where villagers are on a `Jal Satyagraha` demanding reduction of water level in Indira Sagar dam.
"The Madhya Pradesh government is guilty of violating the Supreme Court`s mandate providing rehabilitation of villagers living near Indira Sagar dam (in Khardana village) and reduction of water level in the dam from 262 metres to 260," Karat told PTI after the meeting.
"The MP government is doing selective implementation of the SC order. They have not rehabilitated or resettled the villagers," she alleged.
Karat and NBA activist Chittarupa Palit urged Mukherjee to look into the matter.
The CPI(M) leader said the water level in Omkareshwar dam in Khandwa district was reduced following over two weeks of `Jal Satyagraha` and the same move should be taken in case of Indira Sagar dam too.
Palit, who spearheaded the `Jal Satyagrah` in Harda and Khandwa districts, said, "The President gave us a patient hearing. We are very hopeful."
In Harda yesterday, police had cracked down on over 100 protesters on `Jal Satyagraha`, pulling them out of water after they refused to call off their agitation, demanding land as compensation and reduction of water level of the Indira Sagar dam.
The action came two days after a similar protest was called off in Khandwa district following an assurance from the Madhya Pradesh government that the affected villagers would be given land as compensation and the height of Omkareshwar Dam would be reduced.
Both Omkareshwar and Indira Sagar dams are built on the Narmada river and are part of the Indira Sagar Project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof