Jal Satyagraha in MP: Karat seeks President’s intervention
New Delhi: CPI(M) leader Brinda Karat along with an NBA activist Thursday met President Pranab Mukherjee and sought his intervention to end the crisis in Madhya Pradesh`s Harda district, where villagers are on a `Jal Satyagraha` demanding reduction of water level in Indira Sagar dam.
"The Madhya Pradesh government is guilty of violating the Supreme Court`s mandate providing rehabilitation of villagers living near Indira Sagar dam (in Khardana village) and reduction of water level in the dam from 262 metres to 260," Karat told PTI after the meeting.
"The MP government is doing selective implementation of the SC order. They have not rehabilitated or resettled the villagers," she alleged.
Karat and NBA activist Chittarupa Palit urged Mukherjee to look into the matter.
The CPI(M) leader said the water level in Omkareshwar dam in Khandwa district was reduced following over two weeks of `Jal Satyagraha` and the same move should be taken in case of Indira Sagar dam too.
Palit, who spearheaded the `Jal Satyagrah` in Harda and Khandwa districts, said, "The President gave us a patient hearing. We are very hopeful."
In Harda yesterday, police had cracked down on over 100 protesters on `Jal Satyagraha`, pulling them out of water after they refused to call off their agitation, demanding land as compensation and reduction of water level of the Indira Sagar dam.
The action came two days after a similar protest was called off in Khandwa district following an assurance from the Madhya Pradesh government that the affected villagers would be given land as compensation and the height of Omkareshwar Dam would be reduced.
Both Omkareshwar and Indira Sagar dams are built on the Narmada river and are part of the Indira Sagar Project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened