Katni Cong MLA Sanjay Pathak to join BJP in Madhya Pradesh
Bhopal: In yet another jolt to Congress in Madhya Pradesh, its Katni MLA Sanjay Pathak on Sunday decided to join BJP ahead of Lok Sabha polls.
"BJP`s Organisation General Secretary Arvind Menon today visited my place at Katni and assured me that my honour will be protected and Katni will be given its due," Pathak told PTI over phone.
"The senior BJP leader invited me to join BJP and I will be formally joining the party tomorrow at Bhopal," the Congress leader, who has interests in various businesses, especially mining, said.
He said that Congress no longer remains the party of Nehru and Gandhi and the powerful leaders of the state did not even listen to party Vice-President Rahul Gandhi.
"Despite Rahul Gandhi`s assurance, my grievances, specially the interest of party workers, were not addressed by the party and therefore, I decided to leave it," he said.
"When the honour of people like me whose family served the party for three generations were not protected by the Congress then you can imagine what will happen to a simple party worker," he said.
"The way Congress is functioning, specially its three-four leaders in the state, its fall is imminent," he predicted.
Before Pathak, Congress party`s candidate from Bhind Lok Sabha seat Bhagirath Prasad joined BJP just a day after his nomination was announced.
Even during the assembly polls in 2013, Congress sitting MP from Hoshangabad seat, Rao Uday Pratap Singh joined BJP.
BJP has fielded Prasad and Singh from Bhind and Hoshangabad seats respectively for the Lok Sabha polls.
When asked whether he would contest from Khajuraho as he was opposed to Congress candidate from that constituency, Pathak said, "My only demand from Congress was not to overlook the interest of the party workers, but when nothing happened even after meeting Rahul Gandhi, I decided to join BJP."
"I have not asked for a party ticket from Khajuraho despite the fact that both the state Congress president Arun Yadav and Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly Satyadev Katare asked me whether I wanted to contest the Lok Sabha polls...So no question arises from BJP also," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar