Katni Cong MLA Sanjay Pathak to join BJP in Madhya Pradesh
Bhopal: In yet another jolt to Congress in Madhya Pradesh, its Katni MLA Sanjay Pathak on Sunday decided to join BJP ahead of Lok Sabha polls.
"BJP`s Organisation General Secretary Arvind Menon today visited my place at Katni and assured me that my honour will be protected and Katni will be given its due," Pathak told PTI over phone.
"The senior BJP leader invited me to join BJP and I will be formally joining the party tomorrow at Bhopal," the Congress leader, who has interests in various businesses, especially mining, said.
He said that Congress no longer remains the party of Nehru and Gandhi and the powerful leaders of the state did not even listen to party Vice-President Rahul Gandhi.
"Despite Rahul Gandhi`s assurance, my grievances, specially the interest of party workers, were not addressed by the party and therefore, I decided to leave it," he said.
"When the honour of people like me whose family served the party for three generations were not protected by the Congress then you can imagine what will happen to a simple party worker," he said.
"The way Congress is functioning, specially its three-four leaders in the state, its fall is imminent," he predicted.
Before Pathak, Congress party`s candidate from Bhind Lok Sabha seat Bhagirath Prasad joined BJP just a day after his nomination was announced.
Even during the assembly polls in 2013, Congress sitting MP from Hoshangabad seat, Rao Uday Pratap Singh joined BJP.
BJP has fielded Prasad and Singh from Bhind and Hoshangabad seats respectively for the Lok Sabha polls.
When asked whether he would contest from Khajuraho as he was opposed to Congress candidate from that constituency, Pathak said, "My only demand from Congress was not to overlook the interest of the party workers, but when nothing happened even after meeting Rahul Gandhi, I decided to join BJP."
"I have not asked for a party ticket from Khajuraho despite the fact that both the state Congress president Arun Yadav and Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly Satyadev Katare asked me whether I wanted to contest the Lok Sabha polls...So no question arises from BJP also," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border