`Killers hired for Rs 3 lakh for murdering Masood`
Kanpur: An alleged contract killer, who was
arrested here in Shehla Masood murder case, has confessed that
he and two others were hired for Rs 3 lakh for killing the RTI
activist in Bhopal last year, police claimed on Wednesday.
Irfan, who was picked up by UP Special Task Force from a
house at Talaq Mahal locality of Kanpur late last night, was
today remanded in judicial custody for 14 days by a
During interrogation, Irfan said that he along with Shanu
Alaunga, a sharpshooter who was shot dead in an unrelated
incident in November last year, and one Salim had been hired
for Rs three lakh by a Bhopal-based person to carry out the
murder, DSP Samir Saurabh said.
Irfan said Rs two lakh was paid to Shanu who took him and
Irfan to Bhopal from Kanpur on August 10 to murder Masood.
They had been promised that the rest of the amount will be
paid after the killing, according to police.
Irfan said it was Shanu who shot dead the RTI activist on
August 16 and later they returned to Kanpur.
Shanu was gunned down in November last year by two
motorcycle-borne youths outside the court here. The third
killer, Salim, is still at large.
The CBI had arrested a woman-architect from Bhopal, Zahida
Parvez, who allegedly ordered the killing of the RTI activist
as she was suspicious of her relationship with her husband.
Police said Irfan has a criminal record and several cases,
including under Gangster`s Act are registered against him. He
has been jailed several times.
The DSP said that Kanpur Police has booked Irfan under
Section 307 (attempt to murder) of IPC and Section 25 of Arms
Act for attacking a police party which had gone to arrest him
and possessing illegal weapons.
He said a CBI team from Bhopal was heading to Kanpur to
take custody of the accused.
Masood was shot dead outside her house at Koh-e-Fiza
locality on August 16, 2011 when she was going to take part in
protests in support of Jan Lokpal Bill.
An RTI activist, Masood had worked in several areas
including environment protection, conservation of wildlife and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!