Lokayuktas meet in Oct to bring code for corruption cases
Bhopal: Lokayuktas of 20 different states of the country will meet here in October this year to discuss uniformity in dealing with corruption cases.
"A two-day conference of Lokayuktas (Ombudsmen) of the country will take place in October and its date will be finalised shortly," Madhya Pradesh Lokayukta Justice PP
Naolekar told a news agency.
Justice Naolekar, who is a retired Supreme Court Judge, said that almost all the Lokayuktas have given their consent to attend the conference.
"I think there is a need for a central model code to help in the functioning of the Lokayuktas in the country," Justice Naolekar said adding that this issue will be discussed
at the conference.
"If a central model code was formulated, the states can draw guidelines from it to enforce uniformity in the functioning of Lokayuktas," he said.
In Madhya Pradesh, he said that the Lokayukta has power to initiate contempt of court proceedings in High Court, which was not there in other states.
"We are going to discuss other issues in the conference as well," Justice Naolekar added.
As of now, the different acts were in vogue in states with regard to Lokayuktas` functioning, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Forget Freedom 251, here comes another smartphone at Rs 501
- From Swift Dzire, to a BMW: It's dream come true, says PV Sindhu after receiving second car from Sachin Tendulkar
- Narendra Modi's big plan for PoK refugees in India – A Rs 2,000 crore package
- Kerala train derail: Services resume in Ernakulam-Thrissur route
- Meet Lachlan Smart – The Aussie teen who becomes youngest pilot to fly solo around the world!