Lowering age for consensual sex will lead to more rapes: Ramdev
Indore: Yoga guru Baba Ramdev on Thursday said the Centre`s decision to reduce the age for consensual sex from 18 to 16 years would affect the social order and increase rape cases in the country.
Sex at 16 was not right for a person either physically or psychologically, Ramdev said while talking to reporters at Panchkuia near here.
"If this decision (to lower age of consensual sex) is taken, rape cases will increase," he said.
The Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2013, which provides for stringent punishment for crimes against women, including rape, was today cleared by the Union Cabinet. It also lowers the age of consent for sex from 18 to 16 years.
Ramdev alleged that the Bill aimed to benefit a "particular religion" and "break the Hindu society".
Instead of tackling issues such as corruption and inflation, the UPA government was busy deciding the age for consensual sex, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- IPL 2016 final: Sachin Baby starts crying at non-striker's end with RCB needing 13 off last ball
- Skincare tips for men to get rid of pimples
- Look who's dining together? Navya SPOTTED with Aryan Khan!
- Watch: Mars makes its closest approach to Earth in 11 years today!
- 27 flights diverted as bad weather triggers chaos in Delhi Airport