Madhya Pradesh Assembly debates exam scam
Bhopal: The ruling BJP Wednesday stumped the opposition Congress in the state Assembly by agreeing to its motion for discussion on the alleged "mega" Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) scam involving the `high and mighty`.
The decision to accept the motion for discussion was announced by Speaker Dr Sitasharan Sharma after the Leader of Opposition Satyadev Katare raised the issue of adjournment motion notice on the matter, soon after the House assembled for the day and took up the scheduled Question Hour.
The Speaker asked Katare to wait till the Question Hour ended but he insisted that the Chair give a ruling on the matter.
However, following intervention by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, the Speaker admitted the motion for discussion.
Chouhan said he was in favour of admitting the motion as many things were being alleged about the scam "without substance".
Congress members including Katare, Sunderlal Tiwari and Jeetu Patwari were not expecting such a decision and they raised rules and procedure to get it delayed.
The ruling party members including Parliamentary Affairs Minister Narottam Mishra and Industries Minister Kailash Vijayawrgiya then asked them to admit that they are not ready for the debate at this moment.
But Speaker then ruled that since the motion has been admitted and the treasury bench members agreed to it, it cannot be taken back and called the name of Congress member Kamleshwar Patel to initiate the debate.
Besides highlighting various alleged irregularities in the scam, Patel demanded from the government to hand over the case to CBI for an "impartial probe".
Taking part in the debate, Forest Minister Gaurishankar Shejwar said that lot of things are being said about the scam but the fact is that in the last seven years 1.27 lakh posts were filled through MPPEB in which over 1.23 crore candidates had appeared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- One shot dead in Pakistan over alleged desecration of Quran
- Govt fixes December 31 deadline for retro tax settlement scheme
- United Nation's Global Citizen Festival: Priyanka Chopra talks about humanity and youth- READ
- PM Modi can get me killed; 'daman chakra' unleashed against AAP: Kejriwal
- Honoured to help create an image for Indian Railways: Ritu Beri