Madhya Pradesh Assembly debates exam scam
Bhopal: The ruling BJP Wednesday stumped the opposition Congress in the state Assembly by agreeing to its motion for discussion on the alleged "mega" Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) scam involving the `high and mighty`.
The decision to accept the motion for discussion was announced by Speaker Dr Sitasharan Sharma after the Leader of Opposition Satyadev Katare raised the issue of adjournment motion notice on the matter, soon after the House assembled for the day and took up the scheduled Question Hour.
The Speaker asked Katare to wait till the Question Hour ended but he insisted that the Chair give a ruling on the matter.
However, following intervention by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, the Speaker admitted the motion for discussion.
Chouhan said he was in favour of admitting the motion as many things were being alleged about the scam "without substance".
Congress members including Katare, Sunderlal Tiwari and Jeetu Patwari were not expecting such a decision and they raised rules and procedure to get it delayed.
The ruling party members including Parliamentary Affairs Minister Narottam Mishra and Industries Minister Kailash Vijayawrgiya then asked them to admit that they are not ready for the debate at this moment.
But Speaker then ruled that since the motion has been admitted and the treasury bench members agreed to it, it cannot be taken back and called the name of Congress member Kamleshwar Patel to initiate the debate.
Besides highlighting various alleged irregularities in the scam, Patel demanded from the government to hand over the case to CBI for an "impartial probe".
Taking part in the debate, Forest Minister Gaurishankar Shejwar said that lot of things are being said about the scam but the fact is that in the last seven years 1.27 lakh posts were filled through MPPEB in which over 1.23 crore candidates had appeared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!