Madhya Pradesh Assembly debates exam scam
Bhopal: The ruling BJP Wednesday stumped the opposition Congress in the state Assembly by agreeing to its motion for discussion on the alleged "mega" Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) scam involving the `high and mighty`.
The decision to accept the motion for discussion was announced by Speaker Dr Sitasharan Sharma after the Leader of Opposition Satyadev Katare raised the issue of adjournment motion notice on the matter, soon after the House assembled for the day and took up the scheduled Question Hour.
The Speaker asked Katare to wait till the Question Hour ended but he insisted that the Chair give a ruling on the matter.
However, following intervention by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, the Speaker admitted the motion for discussion.
Chouhan said he was in favour of admitting the motion as many things were being alleged about the scam "without substance".
Congress members including Katare, Sunderlal Tiwari and Jeetu Patwari were not expecting such a decision and they raised rules and procedure to get it delayed.
The ruling party members including Parliamentary Affairs Minister Narottam Mishra and Industries Minister Kailash Vijayawrgiya then asked them to admit that they are not ready for the debate at this moment.
But Speaker then ruled that since the motion has been admitted and the treasury bench members agreed to it, it cannot be taken back and called the name of Congress member Kamleshwar Patel to initiate the debate.
Besides highlighting various alleged irregularities in the scam, Patel demanded from the government to hand over the case to CBI for an "impartial probe".
Taking part in the debate, Forest Minister Gaurishankar Shejwar said that lot of things are being said about the scam but the fact is that in the last seven years 1.27 lakh posts were filled through MPPEB in which over 1.23 crore candidates had appeared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31