Madhya Pradesh polls: Several bigwigs fail to make a mark
Bhopal: A number of big names, both from the ruling BJP and opposition Congress, failed to win during the just-concluded Madhya Pradesh Assembly Elections.
Leading the pack is former Union minister Suresh Pachouri, who was the president of state Congress unit during the November 2008 elections.
Pachouri, who has never won an election, contested from the Bhojpur constituency where he lost to BJP`s Surendra Patwa, nephew of former Chief Minister Sunderlal Patwa, by a margin of over 15,000 votes.
From BJP, Anoop Mishra, the nephew of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, lost from Bhitarwar in Gwalior. Anoop did not contest from the seat where he had been elected in 2008, but the change in constituency did not help him.
Former minister NP Prajapati of Congress failed to get re-elected from Gotegaon seat in Narsinghpur district apparently due to the influence of MP from Hoshangabad, Rao Uday Pratap Singh, who recently left Congress and joined BJP.
In another upset, Bal Mukund Gautam of Congress had lost the 2008 Assembly Elections from Dhar constituency to Neena Verma of the BJP by a margin of just one vote.
The Supreme Court had declared him elected from the constituency just before the polls, but he was unable to encash the sympathy generated and lost.
Veteran Congress leader Hazarilal Raghuvanshi lost for the second time in a row from Seoni Malwa constituency in Hoshangabd district, to Sartaj Singh of BJP. Raghuvanshi is also a former minister and was deputy speaker of the state Assembly from 2003 to 2008.
Priyawrat Singh of Congress, a relative of party general secretary Digvijay Singh, failed to get re-elected from Khilchipur constituency in Rajgarh district.
State minister Jagannath Singh, who had been elected to the Assembly twice, this time lost to Saraswati Singh of Congress by 9,778 votes from Sidhi seat in Sidhi district.
Pradyuman Singh Tomar, said to be a supporter of Union Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia, lost from Gwalior district to Jai Bhan Singh Pawaiya of BJP.
Other BJP ministers who lost in the elections this time include Harishankar Khateek, Laxmikant Sharma, Brajendra Pratap Singh, Karan Singh Verma Ajay Bishnoi and KL Agrawal.
Prominent Congress leaders who tasted defeat are - Yadvendra Singh, Brajendra Singh Rathore, Chandrabhan Singh and Rajwardhan Singh Dattigaon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in