Madhya Pradesh saw hectic political activities in 2012
Bhopal: The year 2012 will be remembered in Madhya Pradesh mostly for the hectic political activities in view of next year`s crucial Assembly elections.
There were rumblings within the Congress with some party leaders demanding that state chief Kantilal Bhuria be replaced by Union minister Jyotiraditya Scindia. They also demanded that Scindia be projected as the next chief minister of Madhya Pradesh.
However, the Congress Central leadership made it clear that the assembly elections would be fought under Bhuria and Leader of the Opposition in the state Assembly Ajay Singh.
The elections, slated for November, are vital for both the ruling BJP and the Opposition for various reasons.
Prior to December 2003, Madhya Pradesh was regarded as a Congress stronghold as and till then, no non-Congress government was ever able to complete its five-year term in office.
But the BJP government which assumed office after the December 2003 assembly elections, not only completed its five-year term but went on to win the 2008 Assembly polls also. The BJP is now eyeing a third successive.
Towards the end of the year, Narendra Singh Tomar was replaced by Prabhat Jha as the BJP`s state chief.
The year also saw Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa coming to Sanchi for laying the foundation of a Buddhist University there. MDMK leader Vaiko wanted to come to Sanchi to protest against Rajapaksa`s visit but he and his supporters were stopped at Chhindwara, a day before the Sri Lankan President`s visit.
The year also saw protests by farmers in Katni district against the acquisition of their land by the state government for a power project by a private company.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Coal India Limited's 66 coal mine projects facing delays
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony