Madhya Pradesh to drum up support for Narmada
Bhopal: To avoid further hurdles, the Narmada Valley Development Authority (NVDA) has decided to mobilise public support for the mega project, an official said on Sunday.
An arm of the Madhya Pradesh government, NVDA will use songs, documentary films, street plays and puppet shows to garner support, its chairman K.L. Agrawal said.
He said that NVDA will also try to link the people`s religious sentiments regarding the river to the issue of development.
A theme song by singers Anuradha Podwal and Suresh Wadekar too has been prepared and the CDs will be distributed among the locals, besides being aired on Akashwani and Doordarshan.
He said that NVDA would reach out to the younger generation, especially farmers, and explain the benefits of the projects. Agrawal said the exercise will be rolled out from January.
The Narmada Valley Development Project, one of the country`s largest hydroelectric and irrigation projects, has been mired in controversy from the start, with activists alleging the mega projects will displace lakhs of people and cause immense environmental damage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Water tanker scam: ACB summons Delhi Water Minister Kapil Mishra for questioning
- Now recharge your body and phone with KFC's 'Watt a Box' meal!- Watch
- Volkswagen to pay $10 billion in US over emissions scandal: Source
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid
- Focus on defence, security as PM Modi meets Uzbek President