Maheshwar bypoll: 12 candidates in fray
Khargone: A total of 12 candidates remained in the fray for the Maheshwar Assembly seat bypoll after the last date of withdrawal of nomination ended on Monday.
Three candidates have withdrawn their candidature on the last day of nomination, while papers of four candidates were cancelled during the scrutiny, District Electoral Officer and Collector Dr Navneet Kothari told reporters.
The polling will be held on June 12 while the counting of votes will take place on June 15, he said.
The district administration is making elaborate arrangements for conducting the bypoll peacefully. The Election Commission has deputed Subhash Sharma as the Central Observer for the bypoll.
The Congress has fielded Devendra Singh Sadho from the seat, while the BJP relied on Rajkumar Mev, who lost the last assembly poll from the constituency by a narrow margin of 673 votes.
Devendra is the brother of Dr Vijay Laxmi Sadho, who had resigned from the seat following her election to the Rajya Sabha, resulting in the bypoll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29