Major fire at Victoria Market in Gwalior
Gwalior: A major fire broke out on Saturday in the
historic Victoria Market here gutting over 150 shops, fire
brigade sources said.
The fire was noticed between 2.30 and 3.00 am which soon
engulfed the entire building. The market has large number of
garment and stationary shops, they said adding prima facie it
appears that short-circuit may be the reason behind the fire.
Fire tenders from Gwalior Municipal Corporation, Air
Force Station, Bhind and Morena towns were pressed into the
service to control the blaze.
It took over 12 hours for fire-fighters to control the
fire during which a fire brigade personnel and two others
suffered injuries and were admitted in the hospital
A portion of the market also collapsed during the
incident, sources said.
The Municipal Corporation has announced an immediate
assistance of Rs 5000 each to the shopkeepers and Rs 11,000
each from the Chief Minister`s relief fund.
The Victoria Market building was constructed in the year
1904 in the honour of Queen Victoria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend