Major fire at Victoria Market in Gwalior
Gwalior: A major fire broke out on Saturday in the
historic Victoria Market here gutting over 150 shops, fire
brigade sources said.
The fire was noticed between 2.30 and 3.00 am which soon
engulfed the entire building. The market has large number of
garment and stationary shops, they said adding prima facie it
appears that short-circuit may be the reason behind the fire.
Fire tenders from Gwalior Municipal Corporation, Air
Force Station, Bhind and Morena towns were pressed into the
service to control the blaze.
It took over 12 hours for fire-fighters to control the
fire during which a fire brigade personnel and two others
suffered injuries and were admitted in the hospital
A portion of the market also collapsed during the
incident, sources said.
The Municipal Corporation has announced an immediate
assistance of Rs 5000 each to the shopkeepers and Rs 11,000
each from the Chief Minister`s relief fund.
The Victoria Market building was constructed in the year
1904 in the honour of Queen Victoria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price