Major fire at Victoria Market in Gwalior
Gwalior: A major fire broke out on Saturday in the
historic Victoria Market here gutting over 150 shops, fire
brigade sources said.
The fire was noticed between 2.30 and 3.00 am which soon
engulfed the entire building. The market has large number of
garment and stationary shops, they said adding prima facie it
appears that short-circuit may be the reason behind the fire.
Fire tenders from Gwalior Municipal Corporation, Air
Force Station, Bhind and Morena towns were pressed into the
service to control the blaze.
It took over 12 hours for fire-fighters to control the
fire during which a fire brigade personnel and two others
suffered injuries and were admitted in the hospital
A portion of the market also collapsed during the
incident, sources said.
The Municipal Corporation has announced an immediate
assistance of Rs 5000 each to the shopkeepers and Rs 11,000
each from the Chief Minister`s relief fund.
The Victoria Market building was constructed in the year
1904 in the honour of Queen Victoria.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader