Major fire at Victoria Market in Gwalior
Gwalior: A major fire broke out on Saturday in the
historic Victoria Market here gutting over 150 shops, fire
brigade sources said.
The fire was noticed between 2.30 and 3.00 am which soon
engulfed the entire building. The market has large number of
garment and stationary shops, they said adding prima facie it
appears that short-circuit may be the reason behind the fire.
Fire tenders from Gwalior Municipal Corporation, Air
Force Station, Bhind and Morena towns were pressed into the
service to control the blaze.
It took over 12 hours for fire-fighters to control the
fire during which a fire brigade personnel and two others
suffered injuries and were admitted in the hospital
A portion of the market also collapsed during the
incident, sources said.
The Municipal Corporation has announced an immediate
assistance of Rs 5000 each to the shopkeepers and Rs 11,000
each from the Chief Minister`s relief fund.
The Victoria Market building was constructed in the year
1904 in the honour of Queen Victoria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender