‘Many Bhopal gas victims yet to come for claims`
New Delhi: Claims of more than 11,500 Bhopal
Gas leak victims are pending with the Madhya Pradesh government due to their "non-appearance".
According to an RTI reply by Ministry of Chemicals and
Fertilisers, about Rs 3,058 crore was given in over five lakh
Bhopal gas tragedy cases.
"Out of 10,29,517 claim cases, after due adjudication by
Office of the Welfare Commissioner, compensation was awarded
in 5,74,376 cases under various categories of injury," it
The compensation was given in 5,27,894 cases of minor
injury, 35,455 related to temporary disability, 5,295 cases of
death, 4,902 for sustaining permanent disability, 547 for loss
of property, 233 relating to loss of live stock, 42 for injury
of utmost severity and eight other matters of public sector
units or government, it said.
The gas tragedy struck on the intervening night of
December 2-3 1984, in Bhopal.
Madhya Pradesh government has upto July 31, 2011 awarded
compensation of Rs 3058.80 crore which comprises Rs 1548.55
crore as compensation to 5,74,376 original claimants and an
additional pro-rata compensation of approx Rs 1510.25 crore to
5,62,761 of these claimants, the reply said.
"Payment of pro-rata compensation in 11,615 cases is
pending due to non-appearance of claimants," it said in
response to the RTI query filed by advocate Vivek Garg.
Garg`s application was also moved to the Ministry of
Environment and Forest for details of all kinds of
correspondence between it and from the offices of the then
Chief Ministers of Madhya Pradesh Digvijay Singh and late
Arjun Singh. The Environment Ministry asked the applicant for
Rs 6,960 towards photocopying charges of 3,480 pages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015