‘Many Bhopal gas victims yet to come for claims`
New Delhi: Claims of more than 11,500 Bhopal
Gas leak victims are pending with the Madhya Pradesh government due to their "non-appearance".
According to an RTI reply by Ministry of Chemicals and
Fertilisers, about Rs 3,058 crore was given in over five lakh
Bhopal gas tragedy cases.
"Out of 10,29,517 claim cases, after due adjudication by
Office of the Welfare Commissioner, compensation was awarded
in 5,74,376 cases under various categories of injury," it
The compensation was given in 5,27,894 cases of minor
injury, 35,455 related to temporary disability, 5,295 cases of
death, 4,902 for sustaining permanent disability, 547 for loss
of property, 233 relating to loss of live stock, 42 for injury
of utmost severity and eight other matters of public sector
units or government, it said.
The gas tragedy struck on the intervening night of
December 2-3 1984, in Bhopal.
Madhya Pradesh government has upto July 31, 2011 awarded
compensation of Rs 3058.80 crore which comprises Rs 1548.55
crore as compensation to 5,74,376 original claimants and an
additional pro-rata compensation of approx Rs 1510.25 crore to
5,62,761 of these claimants, the reply said.
"Payment of pro-rata compensation in 11,615 cases is
pending due to non-appearance of claimants," it said in
response to the RTI query filed by advocate Vivek Garg.
Garg`s application was also moved to the Ministry of
Environment and Forest for details of all kinds of
correspondence between it and from the offices of the then
Chief Ministers of Madhya Pradesh Digvijay Singh and late
Arjun Singh. The Environment Ministry asked the applicant for
Rs 6,960 towards photocopying charges of 3,480 pages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say