Medha Patkar arrested during protest by MP police
Chhindwara: Social activist Medha Patkar and 16 of her supporters were arrested as they arrived here to protest against the upcoming Pench River Project.
Patkar and her supporters were arrested late last night under sections 151 (unlawful assembly) and 188 (defiance of government order) of the Indian Penal Code, Chhindwara Collector Mahesh Chandra Choudhary told reporters on Monday. They were lodged in Chhindwara jail, he said.
Superintendent of Police Vineet Jain, who led the police team, "misbehaved" with the media persons when they asked him under which section Patkar was arrested, some reports here said.
The under-construction Pench River Project has affected 300 farmers in 32 villages. As many as 116 of them belong to two villages, and are seeking additional compensation for their submerged lands.
Collector Choudhary said demand for enhanced compensation had been forwarded to the state government.
The project is expected to irrigate Seoni and Chhindwara districts, besides providing water for a power plant.
Patkar`s lawyers here said she had refused to eat anything since she was arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof