Medha Patkar arrested during protest by MP police
Chhindwara: Social activist Medha Patkar and 16 of her supporters were arrested as they arrived here to protest against the upcoming Pench River Project.
Patkar and her supporters were arrested late last night under sections 151 (unlawful assembly) and 188 (defiance of government order) of the Indian Penal Code, Chhindwara Collector Mahesh Chandra Choudhary told reporters on Monday. They were lodged in Chhindwara jail, he said.
Superintendent of Police Vineet Jain, who led the police team, "misbehaved" with the media persons when they asked him under which section Patkar was arrested, some reports here said.
The under-construction Pench River Project has affected 300 farmers in 32 villages. As many as 116 of them belong to two villages, and are seeking additional compensation for their submerged lands.
Collector Choudhary said demand for enhanced compensation had been forwarded to the state government.
The project is expected to irrigate Seoni and Chhindwara districts, besides providing water for a power plant.
Patkar`s lawyers here said she had refused to eat anything since she was arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal