Media should not focus only on rape and crime news: Bhujbal
Nashik: Maharashtra PWD Minister Chhagan Bhujbal today said media coverage should not be restricted "only to stories of crime and rape" but also focus on positive and development-centric stories.
"The role of both the print and electronic media is very important... But media is often seen focusing on issues of corruption, publishing stories of rape on the front page... They should focus on development stories and positive news also", Bhujbal said at a function here.
He was addressing the gathering at the launch of the third edition of English daily `Lokmat Times` at Kalidas Kala Mandir here.
Besides Bhujbal, personalities from the field of media and politics, including eminent lawyer Ram Jethmalani, Vice Chairman and Joint Managing Director of the Lokmat Newspaper Group Rajendra Darda, India TV Chairman and Editor-in-Chief Rajat Sharma were present on the occasion.
"In print media if they make any mistake at least they apologise. However, news channels air a range of topics including investigative reporting, horoscope, recipes, crime thriller programmes among others", Bhujbal said.
Lokmat Media chairman and Education Minister Rajendra Darda delivered the welcome address, listing the milestones the group has achieved since its inception in 1953.
Lokmat Times has editions in Nagpur and Aurangabad.
Countering Bhujbal, Rajat Sharma cited the coverage of the gangrape-cum-murder of a paramedic student in Delhi in the electronic media in creating awareness among people about growing crimes against women.
"We showed the resultant outrage following the brutal gangrape of the paramedic student on a moving bus in Delhi. We also aired the spontaneous protests by youths and corresponding follow-up", he said.
Noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani said "every family would get Rs 3 lakh if government retrieves black money stashed in bank accounts abroad".
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde who was scheduled to attend the event could not make it, organisers said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27