Media should not focus only on rape and crime news: Bhujbal
Nashik: Maharashtra PWD Minister Chhagan Bhujbal today said media coverage should not be restricted "only to stories of crime and rape" but also focus on positive and development-centric stories.
"The role of both the print and electronic media is very important... But media is often seen focusing on issues of corruption, publishing stories of rape on the front page... They should focus on development stories and positive news also", Bhujbal said at a function here.
He was addressing the gathering at the launch of the third edition of English daily `Lokmat Times` at Kalidas Kala Mandir here.
Besides Bhujbal, personalities from the field of media and politics, including eminent lawyer Ram Jethmalani, Vice Chairman and Joint Managing Director of the Lokmat Newspaper Group Rajendra Darda, India TV Chairman and Editor-in-Chief Rajat Sharma were present on the occasion.
"In print media if they make any mistake at least they apologise. However, news channels air a range of topics including investigative reporting, horoscope, recipes, crime thriller programmes among others", Bhujbal said.
Lokmat Media chairman and Education Minister Rajendra Darda delivered the welcome address, listing the milestones the group has achieved since its inception in 1953.
Lokmat Times has editions in Nagpur and Aurangabad.
Countering Bhujbal, Rajat Sharma cited the coverage of the gangrape-cum-murder of a paramedic student in Delhi in the electronic media in creating awareness among people about growing crimes against women.
"We showed the resultant outrage following the brutal gangrape of the paramedic student on a moving bus in Delhi. We also aired the spontaneous protests by youths and corresponding follow-up", he said.
Noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani said "every family would get Rs 3 lakh if government retrieves black money stashed in bank accounts abroad".
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde who was scheduled to attend the event could not make it, organisers said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list