Media should not focus only on rape and crime news: Bhujbal
Nashik: Maharashtra PWD Minister Chhagan Bhujbal today said media coverage should not be restricted "only to stories of crime and rape" but also focus on positive and development-centric stories.
"The role of both the print and electronic media is very important... But media is often seen focusing on issues of corruption, publishing stories of rape on the front page... They should focus on development stories and positive news also", Bhujbal said at a function here.
He was addressing the gathering at the launch of the third edition of English daily `Lokmat Times` at Kalidas Kala Mandir here.
Besides Bhujbal, personalities from the field of media and politics, including eminent lawyer Ram Jethmalani, Vice Chairman and Joint Managing Director of the Lokmat Newspaper Group Rajendra Darda, India TV Chairman and Editor-in-Chief Rajat Sharma were present on the occasion.
"In print media if they make any mistake at least they apologise. However, news channels air a range of topics including investigative reporting, horoscope, recipes, crime thriller programmes among others", Bhujbal said.
Lokmat Media chairman and Education Minister Rajendra Darda delivered the welcome address, listing the milestones the group has achieved since its inception in 1953.
Lokmat Times has editions in Nagpur and Aurangabad.
Countering Bhujbal, Rajat Sharma cited the coverage of the gangrape-cum-murder of a paramedic student in Delhi in the electronic media in creating awareness among people about growing crimes against women.
"We showed the resultant outrage following the brutal gangrape of the paramedic student on a moving bus in Delhi. We also aired the spontaneous protests by youths and corresponding follow-up", he said.
Noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani said "every family would get Rs 3 lakh if government retrieves black money stashed in bank accounts abroad".
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde who was scheduled to attend the event could not make it, organisers said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?