Mining baron financed MP CM`s last poll campaign: Report
Zee Media Bureau
Bhopal: In a development which is likely to spell trouble for the BJP government in Madhya Pradesh, some crucial documents of the Income Tax Department has revealed that state’s Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan’s last election campaign was financed by mining baron Sudhir Sharma.
It was reported on Monday that mining baron Sudhir Sharma was a college lecturer until 2005. Sharma allegedly made big money after he got associated with State Mining Minister Laxmi Kant Sharma and started managing his affairs.
He was recently raided by the I-T department sleuths.
Reacting to the development, Ajay Singh, Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly, said, "It is now clear that for all the mining licences that Sudhir Sharma got, he amassed wealth and financed the BJP election campaign code named operation `Vijay`”."
According to the I-T department, Sharma allegedly sponsored the air travels of senior RSS leader Suresh Sony. He is also believed to have sponsored travels of present BJP poll cell chief Anil Madhav Dave along with travels of BJP`s former spokesperson Brijest Lunavat.
The appraisal report prepared by the I-T department claims that the documents were recovered during the raids and the disclosures were verified and cross-checked, however, the BJP has termed the raids and I-T disclosures as vendetta against Sudhir Sharma.
State BJP leader Prabhat Jha has alleged that Sharma has challenged the Income Tax department in court and the latest disclosure by them is actually their revenge. They are implicating us as well," he said.
Despite the brave front put up by the BJP, the issue has given the Congress yet another chance to target the Shivraj Singh Chouhan government in the election year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi