Mirage 2000 fighter plane crashes in MP
Bhopal: A Mirage 2000 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) Friday crashed near
Bhind in Madhya Pradesh soon after taking off from an air base in Gwalior but both the pilots managed to eject.
The Mirage 2000 aircraft was on a routine training sortie when it developed a snag in the engine and crashed near Bhind district, an IAF spokesperson said in Delhi. He said the two pilots in the aircraft had managed to eject and search and rescue operations have been launched to locate them.
The IAF has ordered a court of inquiry (CoI) to ascertain the reasons behind the crash.
The Air Force operates a fleet of 51 Mirage aircraft from the Maharajpura air base in Gwalior.
These aircraft started getting inducted into the IAF in the mid-80s and have had a very good flight safety record, the spokesperson said.
The IAF has also recently signed two deals worth over USD 3.2 billion for upgrading the capabilities of the Mirage 2000 with French companies Dassault, Thales and MBDA. This is the second crash involving an IAF aircraft this year. A Kiran MK II trainer plane had crashed in Chennai on
In this financial year, this is the eighth crash of a fighter aircraft of which most were from the MiG 21 series.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi