MP: 20 killed as bus plunges into river
Raisen (MP): At least 20 persons were killed
and 15 others are missing after a private bus fell into the
swollen Barna river off a bridge in Raisen district on Monday.
The bus belonging to Maa Gayatri Travels, carrying 60
passengers, fell off the bridge about 100 km away from here
when one of its tyres burst and the driver lost control.
So far, 20 bodies have been recovered from the river
while 15 others are feared to have been swept away, police
Earlier, the police had put the figure of dead at 26, but
later they revised it downward.
The bus was on its way to Jabalpur from Bhopal. It was
pulled out of the river in two pieces with the help of a
crane, police added.
Twenty-one persons were admitted to the Bareily hospital
while six were later sent to Bhopal as their condition was
The driver is missing, while the conductor, Laxmi Prasad,
sustained injuries as he jumped out of the bus, and is
undergoing treatment at the hospital.
The Bhopal-based owner of the bus is absconding, police
Army divers from Bhopal were deployed to carry out the
search in the river.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has
announced ex-gratia of Rs 50,000 each for the families of the
deceased, Rs 10,000 for the seriously injured and Rs 5,000
for those who have suffered minor injuries.
Nine of the deceased have been identified so far: Raja
(16), Bulabai (50), Mahima (08), Sayed Afsar Ali (35), Karodi
(30), Krishna Kumar (45), Rahul (22), Rajesh (25) and Radhelal
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price