MP: 226 heinous crimes identified in 2012
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh government has said that prompt action is being taken in cases pertaining to atrocities against women, rapes and other crimes.
Cases were being investigated and put forth before courts within the prescribed time-limit, an official release said here Wednesday.
During 2012, a total of 226 heinous cases of crimes were identified and of these, 75 pertained to criminal offences against women. The rate of conviction of cases stood at 61 per cent during 2012.
Death sentence was given to one - Sunil Balai - who was accused of raping and strangulating to death a minor girl at village Talai Karoli in Dhar district. The offence was registered on October 31, 2012, and police completed probe and put up the case before court in nine days, the release said.
Disposing of the case in 35 days, the court awarded death sentence to the convict on December 5 last year, it added.
In another case, Rakesh Barman, accused of raping a minor on April 8 last year in Dhar district, was arrested within 24 days. Police completed investigation in 21 days and put up the case before the court on May 2 which announced its decision in seven days and sentenced the culprit to 10-year rigorous imprisonment, along with a fine of Rs 10,000.
The release also mentioned a few other cases of atrocities against women in Dewas, Dindori, Indore and Khandwa districts of Madhya Pradesh, in which the convicts were awarded life imprisonment after speedy trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!