MP aims to double wheat purchases this year to 40 lakh tonnes
New Delhi: The MP government plans to procure 40 lakh tonnes of wheat this year, double the amount it lifted last year, on account of Rs 100 per quintal bonus that it is
offering to farmers over-and-above the Centre`s price.
"This year we are targeting to procure 40 lakh tonnes of wheat, compared to 20 lakh tonnes last year, owing to bumper production," Madhya Pradesh State Civil Supplies Corporation Ltd Managing Director DKC Gupta told a news agency.
The state has procured 30 lakh tonnes of wheat so far, in the current marketing year, starting April, as compared to 13.22 lakh tonnes in the corresponding period of 2009-10.
Higher production of an estimated 80 lakh tonnes of wheat this year in MP, a bonus of Rs 100 over-and-above the Centre`s minimum support rice (MSP) of Rs 1,100 a quintal and setting up of more procurement centres has helped the state increase its wheat purchases, Gupta said.
The state has set up 2,000 procurement centres this year compared to 1,300 last year.
The state has also imposed a purchase tax of four percent on private traders, who have an annual turnover in wheat of Rs 5 crore, which comes out to Rs 48 per quintal, Gupta
said, adding that this is also facilitating more food grain coming to the government.
"MP has better quality of wheat than other states. We want to retain the state`s wheat to fulfil the Public Distribution System`s (PDS) requirements and there is a political will to do so, which is enhancing procurement," he said.
Meanwhile, wheat procurement around the country has
reached 20.78 million tonnes so far in the current marketing
year, down 1.8 percent in comparison to the same period last
The Food Corporation of India (FCI), the nodal agency for
procurement and distribution of foodgrains, had purchased
21.16 million tonnes of wheat in the same period last year.
Procurement from the major contributors to the central
pool, such as Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan,
As per FCI data, Punjab has contributed the maximum
quantity -- over 10 million tonnes of wheat -- to the central
pool so far this marketing year, down three per cent from
10.40 million tonnes during the corresponding period last
FCI has procured 62.80 lakh tonnes of wheat from Haryana
so far this year, seven per cent lower than the 67.60 lakh
tonnes it lifted last year.
Wheat procurement from Uttar Pradesh so far this year has
declined by 40 percent to 9.59 lakh tonnes from 15.88 lakh
tonnes in the corresponding period last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part IV
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part V
- LeEco launches new video membership brand for young consumers
- Normandy church attack: French priest, two hostage takers killed; Islamic State claims responsibility
- Kargil war: When Pakistan faced stinging defeat at the hands of India - Watch
- Narsingh Yadav Doping Scandal: Wrestler's food was spiked by an intruder, reveals hostel cook
- Chhattisgarh using only its share of Mahanadi water: Raman Singh