MP Assembly adjourned amid din over Swiss woman gang-rape issue
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Assembly was on Monday adjourned for the day following ruckus by Opposition Congress demanding Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta`s resignation on the issue of gangrape of a Swiss woman in Datia district on March 15.
As the House assembled for the day, Congress members, led by Deputy Leader of the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) Choudhary Rakesh Singh Chaturvedi, dressed in black clothes bearing the caption "MP number one in rape cases," created bedlam raising slogans against government and demanded the minister`s resignation.
However, Industries Minister Kailash Vijaywargiya, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Narottam Mishra and Panchayat Minister Gopal Bhargava opposed the Congress members and requested them to allow the Question Hour to proceed.
But Congress members then reached the well of the House raising slogans while pressing for Gupta`s resignation.
Intervening in the matter, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said that it was an important issue and the government is ready for the discussion.
However, Congress members insisted that the matter will be taken up only after the Home Minister resigns from his post.
When the Congress members did not relent and persisted with their demand, Speaker Ishwardas Rohani first adjourned the House for half-an-hour.
Later, when the House resumed, the Opposition members again created an uprorar following which the Speaker adjourned it till 11.30 AM.
When the House assembled after the Question Hour, Congress members again raised the issue of Gupta`s resignation vociferously and amid the din, the Speaker transacted the listed business without any discussion.
Later, when the Opposition did not heed to the Chair`s request for order, the Speaker adjourned the House for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India