MP Assembly adjourned amid din over Swiss woman gang-rape issue
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Assembly was on Monday adjourned for the day following ruckus by Opposition Congress demanding Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta`s resignation on the issue of gangrape of a Swiss woman in Datia district on March 15.
As the House assembled for the day, Congress members, led by Deputy Leader of the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) Choudhary Rakesh Singh Chaturvedi, dressed in black clothes bearing the caption "MP number one in rape cases," created bedlam raising slogans against government and demanded the minister`s resignation.
However, Industries Minister Kailash Vijaywargiya, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Narottam Mishra and Panchayat Minister Gopal Bhargava opposed the Congress members and requested them to allow the Question Hour to proceed.
But Congress members then reached the well of the House raising slogans while pressing for Gupta`s resignation.
Intervening in the matter, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said that it was an important issue and the government is ready for the discussion.
However, Congress members insisted that the matter will be taken up only after the Home Minister resigns from his post.
When the Congress members did not relent and persisted with their demand, Speaker Ishwardas Rohani first adjourned the House for half-an-hour.
Later, when the House resumed, the Opposition members again created an uprorar following which the Speaker adjourned it till 11.30 AM.
When the House assembled after the Question Hour, Congress members again raised the issue of Gupta`s resignation vociferously and amid the din, the Speaker transacted the listed business without any discussion.
Later, when the Opposition did not heed to the Chair`s request for order, the Speaker adjourned the House for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam