MP Assembly adjourned amid din over Swiss woman gang-rape issue
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Assembly was on Monday adjourned for the day following ruckus by Opposition Congress demanding Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta`s resignation on the issue of gangrape of a Swiss woman in Datia district on March 15.
As the House assembled for the day, Congress members, led by Deputy Leader of the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) Choudhary Rakesh Singh Chaturvedi, dressed in black clothes bearing the caption "MP number one in rape cases," created bedlam raising slogans against government and demanded the minister`s resignation.
However, Industries Minister Kailash Vijaywargiya, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Narottam Mishra and Panchayat Minister Gopal Bhargava opposed the Congress members and requested them to allow the Question Hour to proceed.
But Congress members then reached the well of the House raising slogans while pressing for Gupta`s resignation.
Intervening in the matter, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said that it was an important issue and the government is ready for the discussion.
However, Congress members insisted that the matter will be taken up only after the Home Minister resigns from his post.
When the Congress members did not relent and persisted with their demand, Speaker Ishwardas Rohani first adjourned the House for half-an-hour.
Later, when the House resumed, the Opposition members again created an uprorar following which the Speaker adjourned it till 11.30 AM.
When the House assembled after the Question Hour, Congress members again raised the issue of Gupta`s resignation vociferously and amid the din, the Speaker transacted the listed business without any discussion.
Later, when the Opposition did not heed to the Chair`s request for order, the Speaker adjourned the House for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues