MP Assembly: Oppn stages walkout over issue of missing girls
Bhopal: The Opposition Congress on Wednesday charged the government with being insensitive on the issue of large number of missing girls in the state and staged a walk out from the Madhya Pradesh Assembly.
The matter of missing girls was raised by Ramniwas Rawat (Congress) during the Question Hour when he alleged that the government was not serious on the issue of 4,990 girls missing since 2008 and there was no information about them till now.
He demanded that the government should treat the issue of missing girls as that of "human-trafficking."
Replying to Rawat, state Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta said that missing persons cannot be treated under human- trafficking as both the issues are different.
The question of human trafficking arises only when sale or purchase of girls is involved, the Minister insisted.
The Home Minister assured the House that a campaign will be launched to trace the missing girls and latest information about them will be collected.
However, Rawat said that on one hand the government was running `Beti-Bachao` (save girls) campaign while on the other it was not serious about the missing girls.
In his written reply on trafficking of girls, the Home Minister admitted that a number of such cases were reported in the state and so far 426 accused persons were arrested in this regard.
The Home Minister also informed that separate cells have been created in Shivpuri and Gwalior districts to check human trafficking.
However, Leader of Opposition Ajay Singh intervened in the matter and charged the government with being insensitive on the issue, following which the Congress members walked out of the House.
In a separate matter, Purshottam Dangi (Congress) also staged a walk-out following an unsatisfactory reply by Social Justice Minister Gopal Bhargava on the issue of all-weather roads in his constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state