MP Assembly: Oppn stages walkout over issue of missing girls
Bhopal: The Opposition Congress on Wednesday charged the government with being insensitive on the issue of large number of missing girls in the state and staged a walk out from the Madhya Pradesh Assembly.
The matter of missing girls was raised by Ramniwas Rawat (Congress) during the Question Hour when he alleged that the government was not serious on the issue of 4,990 girls missing since 2008 and there was no information about them till now.
He demanded that the government should treat the issue of missing girls as that of "human-trafficking."
Replying to Rawat, state Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta said that missing persons cannot be treated under human- trafficking as both the issues are different.
The question of human trafficking arises only when sale or purchase of girls is involved, the Minister insisted.
The Home Minister assured the House that a campaign will be launched to trace the missing girls and latest information about them will be collected.
However, Rawat said that on one hand the government was running `Beti-Bachao` (save girls) campaign while on the other it was not serious about the missing girls.
In his written reply on trafficking of girls, the Home Minister admitted that a number of such cases were reported in the state and so far 426 accused persons were arrested in this regard.
The Home Minister also informed that separate cells have been created in Shivpuri and Gwalior districts to check human trafficking.
However, Leader of Opposition Ajay Singh intervened in the matter and charged the government with being insensitive on the issue, following which the Congress members walked out of the House.
In a separate matter, Purshottam Dangi (Congress) also staged a walk-out following an unsatisfactory reply by Social Justice Minister Gopal Bhargava on the issue of all-weather roads in his constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside
- Battles in Libya's Sirte kill 34 fighters, injure over 180